You’ve your new blog.
Your first pages and posts well written.
Search engines must know you exist to help you market your blog. How?
Submit your blog
You may want to submit your blog for these reasons:
- No time to wait for search engines to discover your new blog.
But today, search engine crawlers find pages all by themselves even if you don’t click any submission button.
- You may also want to have your page in a particular search engine.
Those 2 reasons are not exhaustive.
Basically, your blog is indexed and promoted by the search engines after submission.
It only takes little time to get your site indexed after the submission.
Let’s now go through the…
Manual blog submission processes for the various search engines
Submitting your site URL to Google
- Go to the following link: http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
- Sign in to your Google account (i.e. Gmail)
- Type in your URL, example: http://www.yoursite.com
- Enter the captcha text shown in the box
- Click the “Submit Request” button
It’s that simple and easy. You can also submit your URL or site to Google through webmaster tools, even your sitemap.
Google has two main ways to know of your site existence.
One way is the usual submission of your website as a webmaster through the submission page.
And the other way is through their web spiders (crawlers) discovering your website when crawling the web.
Meaning Google will find your website if there is a link to it. Even when you’ve not submitted it.
You don’t have to submit your site to Google more than once.
Submitting your site URL to Bing
- Go to the following link: http://www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx or http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url
- Type the URL of your homepage, example: http://www.yoursite.com
- Type the characters from the picture in their text box
- Click “Submit”
It’s so simple and easy like that of Google.
You can submit your sitemap as well after submitting your site URL.
Now, verify ownership of your site.
To pass the verification process you will add a code given to you by Bing to the header of your site HTML file. You will of course be through when you pass this verification process.
Your site will show up in Yahoo search results once you submit your site to Bing. This is because Yahoo search is powered by Microsoft’s Bing.
Submitting your site URL to Yahoo
- Go to the following link: http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
- Click on “Submit Your Site for Free”
- You will be redirected to Bing.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for submitting your URL.
Submitting your Sitemap to Ask
Ask does not have an URL submit feature. Until recently, you could submit your sitemap to them. But Ask.com has now retired this feature and says they will be crawling sites instead. So, the next best thing is to add a directive in your robots.txt file that specifies auto-discovery of the XML sitemap.
SITEMAP: http://www.[the URL of your sitemap here].xml
The sitemap location should be the full sitemap URL.
Once you complete the above steps, just sit back and be patient: it takes a little while for an engine to index your pages.
Don’t submit more than once.
You’ll get direct unpaid, targeted traffic to your website when you succeed in submitting your website to search engines.
In effect, you do help search engines such as Google, Bing and the likes find your content.
You inform them of your website‘s presence and that you have an information to share.
People find your content faster.
It’s that simple and free.
Found this simple guide useful? If you did, kindly share with your friend on social media.